I was so excited to try this eco-friendly and very cool looking brand of diaper called G-diapers. Obviously I LOVE the fact there is a little g on the butt and it was going to be soooo GREEN. The idea of all those diapers sitting in landfills makes me sick. They say that the average child uses over 7,000 diapers in 2 years. Gross. Kids are a huge footprint on the earth and I wanted to feel like I was doing something to reduce Jordan's. Unfortunately, this diaper system proved to be a pain in the tush, messy and inefficient. The idea is that you have a few of the (very cute) cloth outsides, a removable plastic liner and these absorbent pads that you change and flush.1. Jordan has a completely normal amount of poop and almost every time it leaked out of the side onto his clothes. Which meant I was going through new outer covers and outfits all the time and simply adding to his laundry.
2. We live in a old house with old plumbing. I can barely throw a tissue down our toilets let alone something that resembles a mega maxi pad. So all of the used pads ended up in our trash.
3. Anyone besides Jay and I changing Jordan looked at the system as if you needed an engineering degree to change his diaper. So we were going to have to buy regular diapers to keep our babysitters/daycare happy anyway.
4. I found out that our city burns their trash. So it doesn't matter if its a Huggies diaper or G-diaper insert, it all gets burner. Nothing is sitting in a landfill.
So that is our sad story of how G-diapers did not work for us. If you choose to use them, I wish you luck and hope they work for you. The starter kit is worth a try, just wait until after your newborn's gross belly button motif has fallen off because they go too high and will irritate it.
Below is a link to interesting facts and blog posts about G-diapers by people way more educated than I am. Including a conversation with the founders:
Too bad, Gina. I've definitely heard mixed reviews of the G Diapers. I know some parents who use cloth inserts in the G Diaper cover, but then you need to do the laundry or have a service. Also, baby poops go through lots of phases and around 3 months or so (I think) they start to poo much less often. At least then every diaper change does not trash the cover. It sounds like you have done tons of research, so I hope I'm not being annoying or telling you things you have already read. :) We use a different cloth system and if you are interested, let me know. Otherwise, good luck with all the other big decisions to come and I wish you sleep as often and as long as you can get it.
ReplyDelete- Becky Patel