Monday, September 16, 2013

Demolition Drew 9 months


9th month check-up stats:

Weight - 21 lb 15 oz (84%)
Length - 29.5" (90%)
Head - 18" (71%)
  • In the past few weeks, his very fast commando crawl morphed into a proper one on his hands and knees with his belly off the floor.
  • He eats all pureed foods although he seems indifferent to flavors so I can't tell what he actually likes.
  • He eats some finger foods like puffs and bits of what we are eating, but he's not super interested.
  • Still totally chill and smiles/laughs at everything EXCEPT when Jordan is making him mad. He has a special ear piercing scream saved for those moments. 
  • His eye Doctor didn't feel there was substantial enough progress with the eye patching so we are a go for surgery...more on that some other time.
  • Although he no longer sucks his thumb, he's easily soothed with a pacifier and sleeps through the night. 
  • He loves standing and cruising around (especially at his play table) which recently got him into some trouble....

He falls and bumps his head learning to stand all the time. Nothing different than any other baby, but one time he was holding onto a chair and slipped and hit the chair leg with the side of his head. He cried the normal amount and then went about his business. The next morning I saw that he had a huge fluid filled bump on the side of his head (not much to see in the photo below). He was not acting strange, he ate normal and there was not bruise or cut. Off the the Doctor we went who knew the fluid was bad and sent us right to the pediatric neurologist who told us he had definitely fractured his skull and sent us directly to get a CT scan to make sure there was no hemorrhaging and not bone shards. Seeing a 9 month old strapped down with is head taped to a table is ridiculous - I wish I could have taken a photo. Scan came back clean and all is fine. It was quite a long day, but Drew did awesome and he's tough as nails. Can't wait to get that bill. 



Jordan continues to have his fair share of accidents - he's forever covered in bumps, bruising and cuts. One special Sunday night this summer Jordan was acting terrible and not staying in time out so Jay had to physically restrain him while Jordan struggled. He started crying about his arm - at tactic he's tried to use before so we didn't believe him. But then he stopped using it claiming he couldn't lift it. At the same time he was saying things like "my arm hurts, I think I need ice cream" or "my arm hurts, a movie would make it feel better" so again, we thought it was bull. But when he couldn't get his PJs on and I notice his had had swollen off I went to the ER I went.

Turns out it was something called nursemaids elbow "Nursemaid's elbowbabysitter's elbow, or pulled elbow is a dislocation of the elbow joint caused by a sudden pull on the extended pronated arm, such as by an adult tugging on an uncooperative child or by swinging the child by the arms during play." I love that is says 'uncooperative child' in Wikipedia. The Doctor at the ER simply popped it back into place and Jordan thought the whole experience was a blast as he enjoyed his popsicle treat. Sweet Sunday night.


Here's Jordan after he ran his face across our cement walkway and split his lip in the backyard.


 I'm sure child protective services will visit our house soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment